Tuesday, July 31, 2012

Wild Thing 2012

Wes and I took the older two kids to Wild Thing this year. We usually go every year, but haven't been in a few years for one reason or another. We decided the older kids were old enough to enjoy it and be able to stay out late (it doesn't start until 8, and we usually don't get home until midnight or so).

The kids had a blast...I didn't get any pictures of the actual rodeo, but they really loved watching all of it, especially cowboy poker.

They throw out frisbees and t-shirts during the rodeo... the kids each ended up with one due to some nice people.

I didn't get any pictures of the fireworks, but they put on a really impressive show....way better than the city's 4th of July show.

Shortly after the fireworks nature decided to compete with an impressive lightning show followed by a torrential downpour. We had brought umbrellas and rain jackets because July=expect rain every afternoon/evening. But our equipment was no match for the rain. The whole arena emptied in a matter of a minute or so, it was pure chaos. Wes and I each grabbed a kid and took off, ending up in a storage closet until the downpour stopped. When it quieted down we ran for the car...through rain puddles up to my shins in some places.




We kept telling the kids it was an adventure, because they were a little scared in that closet, with the thunder/lightning/power outages, and I think it's safe to say they will remember that night for a long time!

4 comments:

Emily said...

So fun! I've still never been to a rodeo. I'll have to try next year.

mommy said...

who took that picture? It is a great one. you both look so young!

mommy said...

who took that picture? It is a great one. you both look so young!

meg said...

Your hair is soooo long. It has been so long since I've seen you.