Thursday, February 14, 2008

Goats

A few of you have asked about our goats, and if Wes is really a farmer (haha). Here's the deal: Wes LOVES animals, and for some weird reason goats are his favorite. He always had animals growing up- it's his hobby. I'm just glad he is raising goats now and not iguanas, lizards, etc. like he used to. So, the goats are just pets. We also have one turtle named Petie, a dog- Gus, and 3 horses-Shadow, Shasta, and Sassy. Our in-laws have an acre of property that they turned into a corral, it sits in between their house and our house, so they let us keep our animals in it.

Delilah's 2 babies she had this year, all 3 of them have died



Now, after all the explanation about our goats....we are thinking about selling all of them. We have had an outbreak of some kind amongst the goats. We have had 3 die in the last month (since the infamous Whisky), and 2 others that died last year. We are left with 3 adult females and one female kid. In fact, one of my favorite goats just died today (sorry Delilah!). Wes thinks that Whisky brought some kind of disease with him and infected the rest of the goats, so it is only a matter of time before they all die.

Dixie and her baby. These 2 are still alive...so far


The plus side to not having the goats is that Wes won't have to feed at all this summer (we take the horses up to my in-laws ranch to graze during the summer months), but it's still kind of sad to see them all dying.
Shadow and Sassy. Sassy is almost as big as her momma now.


Shasta..Wes's horse


6 comments:

Anonymous said...

That's crazy about the goats!! Poor things!

Lindsay said...

Haha, I love that you have a trading post. You guys are real hicks! :) jk. Yes, Fiesta bowl is still going on strong, although I was sad not to see the Kachinas. I think the Sykes were in charge of buying those, and that's the only reason they were awards. This time they got some kind of ugly ceramic sun or something. Roe was there too, looking the same as usual, but sounded a LOT more feeble and old. Poor ol' gal. Oh yeah, I'm coaching at Dynamics now, the level 7's, where Debbie used to coach. I've been there 2 years.

Lindsay said...

p.s- that picky palate blog that you have linked is AMAZING! Do you know the girl that writes that? I can't wait to try some of those recipes!

Anonymous said...

Mikelle-Bell,

So sorry about all the goats. That's a bummer. I bet Wes is pretty sad...

On another note, Preston went to the doctor today and he's THIRTEEN POUNDS!!! I swear that kid's a heifer! He LOVES to eat. He must take after his mom... :) When are you guys coming back again? I can't wait until Preston is old enough to play with Jaxson...

Lindsay said...

I tried her bannana peanut butter cupcakes today and they are DELICIOUS! I just used betty crocker frosting though instead of making her butter cream frosting. You gotta try them!

Camille said...

Ummm...it's a good thing I am not an animal rights activist or anything. I'd be on your case. (Just kidding, I know it's not your fault all the goats are dying.)