Thursday, May 29, 2008

Bottle Feeding Delbert

Every year in the spring my father-in-law and his brother buy about 8-10 calves. We raise them all summer and fall, and then butcher them. It is really good meat! I usually refer to them as "ours", but they're really not ours, Wes just feeds them while they are in the corrals. In the summer they graze up at the ranch.

We don't normally name our calves, but this year a couple of them were already named when we got them. There is one calf that is really struggling, so Wes has been bottle feeding it for the past week. He named it Delbert. We thought Hallie would love to try to feed it, but she got so scared and started crying! She gets scared when they say "moo" to her. The calf will probably end up dying...a lot of new calves do. We don't usually buy them this small (because they die so easily, and aren't big enough at the end of fall to butcher), but Wes's uncle brought back 2 small ones this time.


I should have a post about our Memorial Day weekend soon!

5 comments:

Luke & Shawnie said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Luke & Shawnie said...

I want to feed Delbert! Miss you guys!

Clark Family said...

Of course Wes would name the cow Delbert...can't get any more native than that. Hallie looks a little scared. Maybe she'll get used to it, and then be able to bottle feed other cows some day. Who would have thought that you would have little country kids, and the rest of us would have city kids...ha ha ha!

Camille said...

My gosh that girl looks terrified! I never knew a cow could be so scary.

Lindsay said...

haha..that's funny that she is so terrified. Actually, now that I think of it,....I would probably be the same way...