We don't go on "formal" dates that often, although we try to sneak away from the kids when we can. So when Wes's Uncle Jack called and said that one of the cows was missing, we jumped on the chance to go find the cow. We left the kids with my in-laws and drove up to the ranch.
We have 9 cows up there this year, but Jack could only find 8 Saturday night. We jumped on a four-wheeler and looked all over the place. We looked on our (by our, I mean my in-laws...we definitely do not own any land ourselves) property a dozen times, we looked by an other group of cows that were down a ways, by the lake,etc. We were about to call it quit after 2 hours of looking for the cow because the sun was going down and we needed to get back to the kids. On our way back to the house we finally spotted him! Wes had looked there a couple of times already, so we don't know where he had been hiding.
With my excellent skills (yeah, right) I helped Wes herd the cow back through the gate and joined him back to his other fellow cows. Wes actually did all of work...he had to chase the cow for a long ways, while I followed on the 4 wheeler. I definitely had the better job!
It was kind of fun to have this be our "date night"! Definitely out of the ordinary.
2 comments:
We started school today...Luke is in a softball tournament in Pinetop for Labor day so that's where we will be! What are your plans??
I have gone on a cattle drive or two in my life. I never realised until then just how UNMANAGEABLE COWS ARE. It's ridiculous.
Post a Comment