Wednesday, December 10, 2008

One Way I Simplify Christmas

As a young mom, my Christmas season isn't as packed as others (I don't have any school related parties or giftgiving, etc.), but I still like to simplify things around this time so I can spend lots of time with my family.

I ran across this "poem" a couple of years ago, and it has simplified my present buying for my kids. It goes like this:

Something you want,
Something you need,
Something to wear,
Something to read.

So, we only get our kids 4 presents each Christmas...a fun toy, something they are in need of, an outfit, and a book. I am able to buy things early on, because I already know what I'm looking for. And this keeps us from wanting to spoil them with presents!

What are some ways you simplify your life during this busy Christmas season?

7 comments:

Camille said...

Well, I had considered simply not telling my kids about Santa EVER, but this idea seems nicer. I am really thinking it's something I'd like to use in my family once we have kids.

Luke & Shawnie said...

I think Luke and I will be copyin your idea once we have kids too...

Becky said...

This is a great idea Mikelle. I hadn't gotten Ami anything yet, so I will probably use this. I am finding more and more in my life that I need to simplify. There are too many things in this world that we don't have control over, so the ones we do we should simplify.

Anonymous said...

Mikelle-Bell,

I love this idea. Can I borrow it?

Holly Janeen said...

love it.
thanks for sharing!!! :)

Lindsay said...

What a good idea! I've also heard the idea to give 3 presents, one for each of the wisemen that brought gifts to the baby jesus. I simplify my Christmas by not taking on more than I know I can do. For example, I'm not a huge baker, so I don't go overboard baking extravegant treats for everyone in the neighborhood and the ward. We just do what we have the energy to do, and we should be happy with that!

Crystal Star said...

We don't have a poem, we just do 3 gifts.
1. Something they want
2. Something you need
3. Something to share
Santa is the want. If they gripe, we tell them that Baby Jesus got 3 gifts. Have you been better than Jesus? Pretty ruthless right. I'm afraid of spoiling them and they have enough. Certainly their friends think they have a sad Christmas, but grandparent and others... it adds up!