Wednesday, May 31, 2017

Memorial Day Weekend

 Luke and Shawnie and their kids came up to the ranch for Memorial Day weekend. It was so fun to have them up there for a few days.


We had a rather traumatic experience riding horses Saturday evening. We saddled everyone up and got everyone loaded, and then Hallie started getting on Lady and Lady freaked out on her. Lady threw Hallie off, stepped on her, and the commotion caused Rusty who had Kimber and Vera on to start running, throwing those two off. I saw it all on top of Chet, and would relive those moments over and over in my mind for several days. Everyone was screaming and it was chaos for a couple of minutes while Wes rounded up all the horses; Luke, Shawnie, and I took all the kids back to the house to assess the damage (all three girls were screaming/crying). Wes then got on Lady to show her who was boss. In the end, Vera was fine, Kimber had a buckle fracture (I didn't find that out until several days later when she was still complaining about it-she had to wear her brace for 3 weeks, luckily no cast.), and Hallie had a sore back and leg from where Lady had landed on her. All in all, we were lucky nothing worse happened to the kids. And Hallie is much braver than me because she is ready to get back on Lady (we are going to end up selling Lady I think). I know its all part of riding horses, but I hated every part of that experience. Wes did have Hallie get back on Lady that day, just from the house to the corral, while he led walked Lady.


Poor Kimber....a few days earlier had been her birthday and she spent the day throwing up, so we were going to celebrate it that night after dinner-and then she fell off Rusty and broke her arm! You can also see the right side of her face is all red from where she landed.

 
She requested Strawberry Shortcake for her cake.

Vera got her a matching mermaid blanket that Kimber was so excited about.


Kimber also got some fake makeup that doesn't leave a mark, and a few water wow things by Melissa and Doug (those have been a hit!).

Kimber calls Vera her "best cousin". At only one week apart in age, they definitely are close as can be!
We rode again Monday afternoon after Luke and Shawnie left. This time  Hallie rode Chet, and our Bishop rode Lady to teach her a thing or two.


Kimber did not want to get back on a horse, understandably. So I hung out with her on the Ranger.

No comments: