Thursday, December 29, 2011

Tracie's quilt

We had Tracie for Christmas this year, so of course, I made her a quilt. I used a pattern from Camille Roskelley (love her fabric and patterns!), but made it larger than what the pattern called for. I think the pattern uses 30 jelly roll strips, but I went ahead and used the whole jelly roll, and the quilt ended up being 80" by 90", pretty much a queen size.


Someday I would love to be able to take great photographs of my quilts because I feel like I never do them justice... (if you click on the pictures you can them bigger and better).

The block is just a standard bow tie block, but the pieces are pretty small...there were thousands of pieces! So even though it is an easy block, it was time consuming because of the sheer amount.

I quilted it myself, doing little flower things in the negative space where the blocks meet, and then swirlies (I just made that up) in the small border and stippling in the large border.

A shot of the back. I used a fleece blanket for the back, making it extra cozy. Plus, then I didn't have to piece a back or use batting! Win, win!

This shows some of the quilting a little better.

3 comments:

Emily said...

That is gorgeous! When do you find the time to do this? I can't imagine the time commitment for a quilt that big. I love it.

Tracie said...

I LOVE IT!! I use it everyday! Thank you soooo much, it's beautiful!

ConnieB said...

Your quilts are beautiful! Good job! This is something I wish I could do.

I also wish I could handle natural birth! haha Thank you, Mikelle, for your comment! That's crazy they aren't available to you (epidurals)! It seems like it's almost expected that everyone wants one where I go. I'm definitely going to have to talk to my doctor, do research, and get the support of my family if I decide to go natural (which I'm still so unsure about!)